The program has committed over 99% of our total funding available for direct assistance and not everyone who applied will get assistance. Applicants can expect the program to issue a final determination notice about the application by February 2022.
Resources To Help Understand the TRRP Payment Process
- FAQs – Tax Reporting
- Payment Guide
- Guide to Returning Payments
- Setting Up a Bill.com Account for Landlords and Utility Providers
- FAQs – Landlord Payment
- FAQs – Utility Vendors
Tax Reporting & IRS Forms 1099-MISC
Texas Rent Relief assistance payments to landlords and utility providers are considered taxable income. Assistance payments to tenants do not count as taxable income for the tenants.
Per federal guidelines for Emergency Rental Assistance funding, Texas Rent Relief will provide a completed IRS Form 1099-MISC to all landlords and utility providers that received at least $600 in assistance from the program during the 2021 calendar year.
What You Need to Know
- Forms 1099-MISC will be delivered electronically to the email address provided during the application process.
- Forms will be issued by Horne LLP, the third-party vendor administering the program. Horne will be listed on the Form 1099-MISC.
- To ensure security of personal identifiable information, Texas Rent Relief will be using a service called Track1099 to issue Forms 1099-MISC.
- On or before Jan. 31, 2022, Track1099 will send an email to the email address provided with instructions on how to register and receive secure electronic delivery of your Form 1099-MISC.
- Please be sure to check your email and spam folders to ensure you receive the information.
- Forms 1099-MISC reported amounts are for the gross payments made to recipients during the 2021 tax year. Please note the gross amount does not include any refunded or returned payments made to the Program. You should retain and provide proof of payments refunded to the Program to your tax preparer in addition to the 1099-MISC.
For more information, visit Internal Revenue Service: Emergency Rental Assistance Frequently Asked Questions.
For all other Forms 1099-MISC questions, please contact the Texas Rent Relief call center at 833-9TX-RENT (833-989-7368).